On sticks, stones and male pattern baldness

I’m bald.

Been this way for a decade — ever since I saw a picture of myself in the newspaper I used to work for and realized just how badly my little smoke-and-mirrors trick had failed.

I was 23 years old then, with a 40-year-old’s hairline. Up until that point I had feared becoming bald. But in trying to coif those last little whispies into something that resembled a hairstyle, I had become something much worse than bald. I was balding.

I decided that day to wrestle control of my failing folicles back from Mother Nature. After work I went straight to the barber shop and told him to shave it all.

It didn’t take him very long, and I could tell he was a little uncomfortable accepting payment for such an easy job.

The weekly trips to the barber soon became costly, so after about a month I went to Costco and picked up the Gigantor-size package of razers and shave gel.

I’ve never looked back.

I don’t miss my hair, and I certainly don’t miss the looks of pity I used to get as the grocery store clerk rang through my tubes of Dippity-Do.

And while being bald has its advantages, it also comes with a few drawbacks. For starters, I like to go running with my hat turned around backwards, which usually leaves a funny red semi-circle smack in the middle of my forehead if I forget to lather up with sunscreen.

Secondly, as a cop, I’m frequently forced to endure the laundry list of lame-o taunts from bad guys and looky-loos who think they can get my goat by calling me “chrome dome” or “cueball.”

Like last week. Four beat officers, including myself, were trying to help one of the locals who had fallen off the rails. A paranoid schizophrenic with a predilection for speed and cocaine, he’d gone AWOL from his addictions treatment centre. Now he was high, off his meds and in a foul mood.  We handcuffed him for our safety — and for his — while we waited for an ambulance to take him back to the psych ward.

It was quite the scene, which drew the usual crowd of cop critics and members of the iPhone paparazzi, convinced that the Downtown Eastside beat cops were trampling the rights of the downtrodden.

The man was amped up, so the paramedics asked us to escort them to the hospital. My partner climbed into the back of the ambulance to assist. As I crossed Hastings Street to my car so I could follow them to hospital, I heard one of the cop haters cat-call.

“Hey baldy. Use a crosswalk.”

I considered stopping to explain the situation, but I learned long ago that it’s useless trying to reason with an unreasonable person. And with four camera phones pointed my direction, I didn’t feel like being baited into a YouTube clip.

So, I ignored the taunt and carried on, feeling a little disappointed. I love a good one-liner as much as anyone, and here I had served one up like giant, glowing softball. It was just waiting to be hit out of the park. Still, all I got was another “Hey Baldy”  (this particular cop hater has since taken to calling me “skin head,” which is equally lame and unoriginal, yet definitely more offensive).

While I can’t do much about donut jokes and people who insist on saying “It wasn’t me” when I walk into bars, over the past decade I have certainly heard my share of original and unoriginal bald-guy barbs. Here’s a list of my top 5, intended to inspire something a  little more creative than “Hey baldy” the next time I run into the peanut gallery.

1. “Yo Powder. Use a crosswalk.”

2. “Hey Sinead O’Conner. Take the handcuffs off.”

3. “Constable. You look like a stick of roll-on deodorant.”

4. “Hey Telly Savalas/Mr. Clean/Lex Luther/Moby…”

5. “Excuse me. Aren’t you the guy from “The Scream?”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to On sticks, stones and male pattern baldness

1. Lelainia Lloyd says:

My husband also started losing his hair around the same age and he shaves his head for the same reason. I think it suits him. No one’s ever made a comment about his bald head, but then he’s not a cop. People always resort to the cheap shots, given the chance because they lack intelligence. It’s not even worth replying to. If that’s the worst thing they can say about you, then that’s pretty darn good.

It’s very hard not to laugh at this post while trying to look very productive at the office. :) Good one, Beat Cop. Love it. :)

3. Sue says:

loved the line failing follicles
    and it’s useless trying to reason with an unreasonable person.

My dad was bald. He had his head shaved regularly And Telly Savalas was a sexy guy as is Patrick Stewart, Bruce Willis, Sean Connery, just sayin’ so you’re in great company. Be Bald Be Proud!

4. betty b says:

Always remember that what makes a man isn’t what’s on his head, it’s what’s between his ears and what beats in his chest.
    And you forgot one…

6) Hey Uncle Fester, where’s Morticia?

5. CG says:

Hey at least you don’t have to worry about someone grabbing a fistful of hair in a fight!!!

6. DC says:

“Nice to see Kojak back on the force.”

“You should put an APB out on your hair.”

“Am I being detained or am I free to go like your hairline did.”

7. jtblue3recon says:

Cst.Steve,I am also bald and never looked back on losing it. That comment was when I was still in the army around your age. Some other ones were: Mobile Fly Landing Field,RES: Refective Curbed Surface,High Ground. Forget to mention that I am bald the first time I wrote in. And don’t let any any remark get to me as you do. As my Grandma said”God made a few perfect heads,the rest He covered up”.

8. Jack Smith says:

LMAO @ powder, roll on deodorant and moby.

Funny post Steve. I need you or someone in the VPD to upload episodes of Season 2 of The Beat.

Much appreciated.

9. Mick says:

A friend of mine used to refer to himself as “Baldylocks with Three Hairs”. Things could be worse.

10. socialworker says:

“Am I being detained or am I free to go like your hairline did.”

OMG I almost peed my pants laughing. Now that’s funny. Better off hearing quips about the hair than hearing quips about the waistline, though. You’re still mad sexy, Steve.

11. Jay says:

Hey Steve,
    There’s something you have to remember. God only made so many perfect heads…………..the rest he covered with hair.
    I’m also of the folically challenged but I haven’t had the courage to go for the all over shave. I just have the clippers put through every so often. The barber I go to doesn’t charge for the hair cut, I just have to pay him a search fee.

12. Jay says:

Ah …. just realised jtblue3recon has beaten me to the punch line. Unfair.

13. Dak says:

CityTV just announced that they will broadcast a 2 hours marathon of THE BEAT this upcoming SUNDAY Sept 9th. Episodes 1 to 4 will be broadcast.

They also announced that the series will resume from episode 1 to 10 every week on Saturdays at 10:30PM

14. New The Beat fan says:

I just The Beat tv show for the first time tonight. Your bald head is adorable! (winky wink) And the work of you and your colleagues is commendable.

15. Mark says:

Watched all four episodes of The Beat tonite. Sad to see Heather Yellowbird passed away. I recall that post on this blog.